Wednesday, May 4, 2011

THE CROWN IN THE HEATHER (The Bruce Trilogy) by N. Gemini Sasson

This is the first novel in a trilogy about Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland. He is the king who was featured in the movie BRAVEHEART.


BLURB:


In 1290, Scotland is without a king. Two families-the Bruces and the Balliols-vie for the throne. 

Robert the Bruce is in love with Elizabeth de Burgh, the daughter of an adherent of the ruthless Longshanks, King of England. In order to marry her and not give up his chances of someday becoming King of Scots, Robert must abandon his rebel ways and bide his time as Longshanks' vassal. 

But Edward, Longshanks' heir, doesn't trust the opportunistic Scotsman and vows to one day destroy him. While quietly plotting his rebellion, Robert is betrayed by one of his own and must flee Longshanks' vengeance. 

Aided by the unlikely brilliance of the soft-spoken young nobleman, James Douglas, Robert battles for his throne. Victory, though, is never certain and Robert soon learns that keeping his crown may mean giving up that which he loves most-his beloved Elizabeth.



This book was actually listed on Amazon as a suggestion for me, and the price was right so I ordered it through my Kindle. I am definitely glad that I did! It has everything I love about the historical fiction genre, and is the best novel I've read in quite awhile. There is betrayal, war, love affairs, death, and amazing descriptions of the beautiful scenery that Scotland provides. 
I'm not sure how historically accurate this novel is, because I'm more of an "expert" on the Tudor era, rather than the time of Longshanks and The Bruce, but the writing was so fabulous that I believed everything that was written! 


This was my first time reading Sasson, and I'm happy that I was introduced to this author's works. I'm already a quarter of the way through the second novel in the trilogy, WORTH DYING FOR, and it's only getting better. The excitement in both novels keeps me on the edge of my seat, because I have not read much about this time period, so it's all pretty much new to me! Plus, the imagery she uses when describing battle scenes or describing the castles, is just awesome. Her novels are easy to get lost in, and there is nothing I love more than a novel that I can lose myself in. 
I don't think the third book in The Bruce Trilogy is out yet? I could be wrong, but when I was searching for it so that I could buy it, I was unable to find it. As soon as it comes out, I will definitely own it!


I really have nothing negative to say about this trilogy thus far, other than I wish the novels were longer! I have no problem giving THE CROWN IN THE HEATHER 5 out of 5 stars, and for anyone who enjoys historical fiction this is a must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment